Friday, September 7, 2012

The idiots are out.

Apparently being pregnant makes it okay for people to say whatever the hell they want to you.  Below are just a few of the comments I've heard over the past 7 months that have made me shake my head.

Size Issues:

1: Random guy at restaurant, after Sis jokes to him about the fact that I was eating for two (she's allowed), says "are you sure you're not eating for three?"  Asshole.

2: Maintenance guy at office, "I was really surprised to hear you were pregnant."  Hello, I'm 32 and have been married for almost three years... is it really that shocking?  Then he says after looking at my belly, "are you having twins?"  Ugh.

3: Drunk acquaintance at a charity event, "you must be ready to pop" (motioning to my belly, alluding to the fact that I'm far too big for only seven months)... I got a little defensive and told her that I'm actually measuring EXACTLY on track and the doc thinks that baby is on the small side.  Bitch.

4: A coworker walked into my office and said to me today "Well, you're certainly not getting any smaller".  No shit, dumbass... I'm pregnant and don't plan to get any smaller until the kid has been evicted.

5: And I've gotten the twin thing from quite a few more people... my own aunt, people in my office building, acquaintances, etc... do people really think it's possible to have gotten to almost 8 months without realizing that there is, in fact, only one child in there?  Sigh.

Breastfeeding:

Let's just start by saying that at this point I don't think I'll be breastfeeding my child.  And let's leave it at personal reasons for my decision.  If you haven't noticed, there's been a big push in favor of breastfeeding recently.  It's everywhere.  And yes, I understand why.  Breast is best and all that jazz, blah, blah, blah.  I'm just not comfortable with it.  So apparently that makes me a bad mother before I've even begun.  And I'm getting hit with it from the most unexpected sources.

1: The electrician we had come to our house to give us a quote for our addition has a one year old and after small talk about when we're due, he felt the need to tell me how cool it is to watch his wife breastfeed.  He must've seen the look on my face and assumed I wasn't into it because then he said something along the lines of "oh, you've just gotta try it, it's best for the baby, you never know what kind of crap they hide in formula".  Thanks for your opinion, asshole.  And by the way, we won't be hiring you.

2: A close friend who has a four month old texted Nick and me the other day saying "You might want to invest in a small chest freezer if you haven't already.  I haven't seen anything but milk in mine for months."  This was completely 100% unprompted.  He just assumed that I'm going to breastfeed and felt the need to text us out of the blue about what we'll need.  I didn't respond.  All Nick said in return was "Good to know."

Breastfeeding is such a personal topic.  I just don't get why people think it's okay to bring it up all the time.  And hearing it from men?  I never thought I'd have that problem.  I know it's ridiculous but it seriously makes me feel guilty for wanting formula feed my child.  And that's just not right.

Random:

1: As I was in line to check out at the grocery store on Labor Day, the idiot behind me said "You're not going to have your baby on Labor Day, are you?"  And then proceeded to laugh his face off.  Thought he was so damn clever.

Aside from finally having BB in my arms, I think the biggest thing I'm looking forward to about not being pregnant anymore is the asinine comments stopping.  Now here's hoping no one says anything thoughtless to me about still looking pregnant after giving birth...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails