Thursday, July 15, 2010

Remember that little post-script...

that went something like this? (From this post)

PS... My lovely mommy called me from the 'lou at exactly 10:38am, New York time (my birth minute!) to wish me a happy birthday. Made my day :)


Well. I never thought I'd say this.

My lovely mommy is a LIAR!!!

In the nicest way, of course.

I present to you, Exhibit A:


If I didn't know any better, I'd say that this looks like me and my parents. At my 30th birthday party. In New York. While they were supposed to be in the 'lou. Because they TOLD me that they were still in the 'lou.

Husband pulled a good one on me. I have seriously never been more surprised in my life.

Here's the short version:

A week or so before my birthday, husband starts asking what I want to do on the night of my birthday (Friday, the night before the party).

Me: "Nothing"

I'm a die hard boot-camper now, remember? I wanted to be a good thirty year old and start my new decade off with a healthy dinner and good night's rest to prep for boot camp the following morning.

Husband insisted, so I caved. Then he insisted that we do dinner early, like 6:00 early. Weird. Then he insisted on leaving the restaurant to come home and pick me up.

Me: "No, it's okay, I can drive, I'm not drinking."

Him: "Well maybe I want to get hammered. Then you can drive me home."

Whatever. I'm an agreeable sort.

Fast forward to Friday, 5:45pm. Husband arrives at the house, on time, scoops me up and off we go. He took the strangest route there and mid-trip made a hasty stop at a gas station to put a whole $5 into the tank. In the 3 1/2 years I've known my husband, I've never seen him NOT fill up at a gas station. Still not catching on, we carry on with our trip. Then when we get to about a block of our destination, he calls the restaurant. I remember asking him why the hell he was calling when we'd literally be there in 30 seconds, but I still didn't think anything was up.

Then we get there. In we walk, per usual, and he stops in front of his office door, which was closed, per, um, not usual. I thought he locked himself out or something or closed it because of a rash of employee thievery. Yes, this is how my mind works.

Anyway, when he finally opens the door, I see my parents standing there. I honestly don't think I've ever been speechless in my life but I definitely was then. I vaguely recall spitting out an exaggerated "You're here!???" and crying. Husband said the look on my face was priceless.


Ah. Now all of the continual insistence on dinner plans that night made sense. As did the phone call to the restaurant (to warn them) and the gas thing (he was so anxious he didn't want to waste time filling the tank).


It turns out that my loved ones had been conspiring for months. My poor mother. She's never lied to me so much before. I think that seriously every phone conversation we had over the past 6 months included lots of guilt-trippy "you really should come to my party, I only turn 30 once". Not sure how they kept it in for so long...


What can I say. They got me.


More on the most fabulous birthday weekend ever at a later date :)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails