Thursday, May 27, 2010

I think I've lost my mind...

In addition to the 5K I signed up for (it's a week from Saturday... EEK!!) I registered for a Boot Camp Challenge session yesterday.

Seriously, what the hell was I thinking???

I'm horribly out of shape.

And the class meets twice a week at 5:45am and on Saturdays at 6:45am.

Have I mentioned that I am NOT a morning person? Quite the opposite, in fact. I prefer staying up late and often find myself starting a huge project, like laundry or house cleaning at 11pm. And I love Love LOVE sleeping in.

I proudly exclaim to husband every weekend, after rolling out of bed at the crack of, um, 10:30am that "sleeping in is my FAVORITE!"

So. I obviously need to make a lifestyle change if I expect myself to be up and ready for an intense workout pre-sunrise. Or fake an injury to get out of it altogether.

I kid.

I figured I might as well start my new routine this morning, even though the class doesn't start for 3 weeks. And I've got to get my ass in gear and train more diligently for the 5K. Alas... alarm went off at 7:30 this morning.

Uuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Somehow I managed to get out of bed, narrowly avoiding stepping on Miles, make my across the room, get dressed and get out the door.

Not so bad thus far.

Then I started my run. I stupidly picked a loop this morning that starts on a pretty major incline. I barely made it to the top. After the hill from hell, my run wasn't so bad. I managed to make it about 1.7 miles before dying. I wasn't happy with myself for having to stop and walk but I seriously thought I was gonna pass out.

Damn you, irregular heartbeat.

I walked the remaining .3 miles back to the house. Miraculously though, my time was great. Before I tell you how I did, let's please keep in mind that I'm a slow runner. And when I say slow, I mean slow. I'm not trying to be all "woe is me, I only run a 9 minute mile... Gawd, I'm so slow." I really am slow. I expect to come in close to last place at the race next weekend. So much for self-confidence ;)

Last year when I was running regularly, my pace was between 12 and 13 minutes a mile. That seemed perfect for me. I could maintain my pace and run for 3-4 miles.

This morning my pace was just over 11 minutes a mile. And that included the walking. I really don't understand how I've picked up my pace so drastically... especially with the 5lbs I've gained since last year and the lack of a regular fitness routine.

I blame this increased speed however, for the fact that I haven't been able to make it farther than 2 miles on a single run so far this season. I really need to regulate. If I don't get my pacing under control, I don't think I'll be able to finish the 5K running. And it would be a total embarrassment (to moi) to have to walk with all of those people watching. Maybe I should invest in one of those runner's watch thingies. Anybody have any suggestions??

2 comments:

Dominick Purnomo said...

Congratulations on your first 5k babe!

Dominick Purnomo said...

You need to get writing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails