Wednesday, October 20, 2010

30th Birthday Extravaganza - 80's Style

So I realize I'm a little late with this post. Sue me.

Remember the brief mention of my 30th bday bash? Way back here? You know, when I had just turned 30? Now that I'm older and wiser, at the ripe age of 30 1/4, I figured it was time to post the details.

Like previously noted, the Husband began planning my 30th birthday party on the day of my 29th birthday. And seriously, that year's worth of planning did not disappoint. He figured that since I was born in 1980 and have a slight (and by slight, I mean ridiculously huge) obsession with 80's music, an 80's themed costume party would be perfect. Good thinking, Husband, good thinking.

He let me in on the theme a few months before the big day so I would have time to find appropriate attire.

Let's think back to the 80's for a moment, shall we? I'd say the thing that comes to mind for most is BIG hair. Unfortunately, big hair is something I severely lack. If you're in need of pin-straight, fine, lifeless hair, however, I'm your girl. (Although I did manage to rock the spiral perm and feathered bang look in 1990... thank you, Aqua Net.) So on that note, I came up with a costume to cover the opposite-of-80's-type-hair with a hat! Oh, how I love hats. And guess which totally tubular 80's popstar was a huge fan of the hat?

That's right, "it's electric!", it's the wholesome Debbie Gibson.

Now for the costume. Lucky for me, this handy-dandy thing called Google had just what I needed. Inspiration pic below popped up on the first search for "Debbie Gibson style".

Radical, dude!


How'd I do?

Onto the party.

This gnarly bash was well thought out by my darling husband. Or should I say Rico Tubbs?


Rico, I mean husband, even put together an 80's candy bar. Complete with all the 80's staples... candy dots, PopRocks, Pixy Sticks, Ring Pops, WarHeads, AirHeads and more. It was definitely a hit.

He hired a DJ to play nothing but 80's tunes and even coordinated with our photographer to have a photobooth set up to document the night.

Also in attendance:

Fire Marshall Bill and his Cabbage Patch Kids

Punky Brewster


Lots of Big Hair, Day-Glo and 80's Prom Queens

Too-Cool-For-School Studs


Didn't everyone look awesome? I was amazed at some of the costumes our guests came up with. Husband even had prizes for best costume.

So. My 30th birthday party was such an unbelievable, unforgettable night. We danced our butts off, belted out Madonna and Journey, ate, drank and had a fantastic time.

And then they made me blow out 30 candles. Good thing I didn't catch fire ;)

The end.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails