Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bathroom Re-do

I hate my bathroom. It's the only room that we really didn't touch when we tore the rest of the house apart. Because, well, it was the only room in the house that didn't date (completely) back to 1956.




Here is my bathroom in all of it's glory. It's a little confused... 1950's floor and wall tile meet 1990's builder grade vanity, toilet and shower surround. We acquired it with all of the above, as well as 3 gorgeous layers of wallpaper, taking us on a trip through the 60s, 70s and 80s, above the wall tile.

We're pretty much stuck with the floor and wall tile for the time being, so I tried my best to make it work by removing the wallpaper and uncovering drywall that was in pretty rough shape. (I wish I had before and during pictures to show you... it was awful. And took way longer than anticipated.)

After skim-coating, sanding, priming and painting the walls white (I'm pretty handy, you know, for a girl), I thought I would be happy with the result. I was looking forward to having a nice, serene, clean, white bathroom. I really thought it would take away from the wall tile a bit.

I was wrong.

Please don't make fun of the navy blue towel by the sink... I only bring out the fancy towels for company ;)

I did the best I could with it. But I want more!

I'm thinking about... gasp... wallpapering again. Or maybe painting something more interesting over the white. What do you think about horizontal black stripes? Would that be overkill or would that help disguise the wall tile? (You'd think that having paid thousands of dollars for a BS in interior design, I'd have the answer, but this room has me stumped.)

So now is the time for all of you blog-stalkers (I know you're out there, I see you!) to come out of hiding and comment with an idea or two. Give me your opinion and I'll give you a cookie ;) (Girl Scout cookie time is upon us, after all!)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know! You could go with pink stripes to bring out the pink tiles (I am remembering this right, aren't I?) between the black.

And I just ordered five boxes of the purple Girl Scout cookies. And, if you didn't know, for the last few years there have been Girl Scouts at the mall by H&M selling cookies every weekend after they come in. Five boxes will only last me three days, so I've gotta plan ahead.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails